All county residents are encouraged to participate in our recycling program.
These clean/presorted items can be dropped off at the Green Box sites:
- Cardboard - flatten boxes and remove any packing materials (no Chinese/Asian cardboard accepted)
- Brown Paper Bags
- Office Paper (any color)
- #1 Plastic & #2 Plastic (look for number inside recycling symbol on container) - separate grades of plastic, rinse out plastic bottles and remove caps/lids
Please do not place plastic bags in the recycling containers.
Recycle these items at Pocahontas County Landfill:
- White Goods (refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc.) - no charge
- Electronics (all types of electronics are accepted) - no charge
- Tires - $100 per ton
Other Recycling Resources:
Allegheny Disposal (located in Green Bank) 304.456.4541
Plastic shopping bags are accepted by some retail stores for recycling.
For more information on recycling, visit the West Virginia Solid Waste Management Board's website at www.state.wv.us/swmb and the Recycling Coalition of West Virginia at www.wvrecycles.com.
Ideas for reducing waste:
- donate unwanted items to charity
- purchase items with less packaging
- reduce junk mail by removing your name from mailing lists
- utilize things that can be reused many times (like cloth grocery bags) instead of disposable ones
- buy recycled or recyclable products
- compost yard waste and food waste