Business Office

Pocahontas County Courthouse (basement level ) 

Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.                  (closed on state holidays and Good Friday)

900-H Tenth Avenue                                         Marlinton, WV  24954

Phone:  304.799.6262      Fax:  304.799.6272


What We Do:

The PCSWA was established in 1989 to provide safe, healthy, and efficient garbage disposal in the most economical manner possible for our county's citizens. 

We operate the county's sanitary landfill, Green Box sites, and recycling program.

The PCSWA meets on the last Wednesday of each month from January - October.  A combined meeting for November and December is held on the first Wednesday in December.  Meeting agendas are posted on the handicap entrance door at the front of the courthouse.

    Volunteer Board Members:

  • Edward Riley, Chairman (appointed by Pocahontas County Commission)
  • David Henderson, Vice-Chairman (appointed by West Virginia Public Service Commission)
  • Phillip Cobb (appointed by Greenbrier Valley  Conservation District)
  • Jamie Walker (appointed by West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection)
  • David McLaughlin (appointed by Pocahontas County Commission) will assess a processing fee of          2.2% + $1.00  for all card payments. 

Payments can be mailed to the SWA at 900-H Tenth Avenue, Marlinton, WV  24954 or made online by clicking the "Online Payments" button on this screen.  We will mail you a receipt.  The business office at the courthouse can be contacted by calling 304-799-6262 or the landfill office can be reached at 304-799-4199.    


  • Christopher McComb, Landfill Manager
  • Mary Clendenen, Office Administrator

Proper Garbage Disposal:

Pocahontas County's Mandatory Garbage Disposal Regulations require the owner of each residence (any structure or shelter in which a person spends one or more nights per year) to pay the annual Green Box Fee, utilize the Free Day at Pocahontas County Landfill on the last Tuesday of every month and obtain a receipt for each of the twelve months during the billing period, or contract with a certificated solid waste collection service operating in Pocahontas County.

Payment of the Green Box Fee gives you the right to use the Green Boxes during the billing period (July - June) for disposal of residential garbage.  The owner is responsible for payment on rental properties.  The annual Green Box Fee is billed at the beginning of each billing year in July.  A discount of $3.00 is deducted from the annual fee if full payment is received by September 15th.  If the annual fee is not paid by the due date of December 31st, a late fee of 10% is added.  Property owners who fail to comply with Pocahontas County's Mandatory Garbage Disposal Regulations are subject to a civil penalty of $150.00 for each year the fee is not paid per WV Code Subsection 22-C-4-10.  The 2023 Green Box fee is $115.00.

Households with hauler service should not use the Green Boxes.

Pocahontas County Landfill will accept household furnishings at no charge if the customer presents a receipt for payment of the Pocahontas County Green Box Fee:  from July-December the current year's receipt or previous year's receipt will be accepted, from January-June the current year's receipt is required.  Household furnishings will also be accepted at no charge from customers who present a receipt or statement from the Town of Durbin or Town of Marlinton or from a certificated solid waste hauler in Pocahontas County showing service for the property located in Pocahontas County within the past six months.

Each person operating a business establishment in Pocahontas County is required to contract with a solid waste collection service operating in Pocahontas County or use the landfill and pay the appropriate fee.  Commercial garbage should not be placed in the Green Boxes.

It is illegal to dispose of tires in the garbage.  (See recycling page for instructions on where these are accepted.)

Open burning of trash is prohibited by state law.

Littering and illegal dumping carry heavy fines in the State of West Virginia.  Please preserve the beauty of our county and dispose of garbage responsibly.  Report open dumps to the Solid Waste Authority at 304.799.6262.

For information on proper disposal of hazardous wastes, visit the West Virginia Solid Waste Management Board's website at