Pocahontas County Landfill
located on Rt. 28 (near PCHS) 374 Landfill Road, Dunmore, WV 24934
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. & Saturday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
(The landfill is closed on state holidays and Good Friday.)
Free Day at the Landfill: The landfill accepts one pickup truck load (up to 516 pounds) of residential solid waste (garbage, trash, furniture, or household appliances generated at a residential property) for free on the last Tuesday of each month.
Pocahontas County Landfill requires one of the following before household furnishings can be disposed of for free at the landfill on any day other than monthly Free Days:
- receipt for payment of the Green Box Fee (from July-December the current year's receipt or the previous year's receipt will be accepted, from January-June the current year's receipt is required)
- a receipt or statement within the past 6-month period showing service with a licensed hauler or town in Pocahontas County for the property located in Pocahontas County
If the required receipt is not presented, the tipping fee will be due at the time of disposal.
Tipping fees will be charged for any items not classified as residential solid waste.
Tipping Fee: $72.75 per ton (including taxes), $16.44 minimum
Tipping fees can be paid by cash, check, debit card or credit card.
Notice To All Pocahontas County Property Owners Concerning Asbestos Demolition Materials
The Solid Waste Authority is reminding property owners of their responsibilities to have their structures checked for asbestos before demolishing any buildings. Pocahontas County Landfill is not authorized to accept any asbestos; therefore, a certification that construction or demolition materials are free of any asbestos will be required for all loads delivered to the landfill. According to the WV Department of Environmental Protection’s website, the only two landfills in the state that can accept asbestos are Ham Sanitary Landfill in Monroe County and Meadowfill Landfill in Harrison County. For more information about asbestos requirements and how to have your property checked, please visit the DEP’s website at: https://dep.wv.gov/DAQ/CANDE/Pages/AsbestosRemovalandDemolition.aspx.
Green Box Locations:
Frank - East Fork Industrial Park
Green Bank - State Road Garage
Huntersville - Huntersville Drive
Marlinton - Old Fairgrounds
Hillsboro - Ceasar's Mountain
The Green Boxes are available for disposal of residential garbage for residents who pay the annual Solid Waste (Green Box) Fee.
Schedule: Attendants are available to assist you on the following schedule:
- Winter Hours: Wednesday & Saturday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Summer Hours (during Daylight Saving Time): Wednesday & Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- The Green Boxes are also open on Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, and Thanksgiving Day on the same hours as Sundays.
- Walk in access is allowed 24 hours per day.